Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program at Shelter Rock
About the Veatch Program
The Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program at Shelter Rock is the national philanthropic giving program of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Shelter Rock, located in Manhasset, NY. The Veatch Program provides long term, core support for nearly 200 social justice organizations throughout the United States. A program of faith in action, Veatch has been a leader in progressive philanthropy since 1959.
About the Position
The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall management and supervision of day-to-day operations for a multimillion-dollar grantmaking program, including administrative functions and staff, human resource management and process design, internal efficiency, board experience, budget and financial administration, grantmaking processes and data system integration. The program currently has 8 staff members, including this new position. The Operations Manager reports directly to the Executive Director of the Veatch Program. This is a full-time position at the Veatch Program’s offices at the Shelter Rock congregation, located in Manhasset, New York. The Program’s offices are a 40-minute trip on the Long Island Rail Road from Manhattan’s Penn Station and easily accessible from the Long Island Expressway.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations Manager is a new and critical position with wide-ranging responsibilities within the Veatch Program. Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee the development, with program staff, of the design, refinement and maintenance of grantmaking processes for all grants programs.
- Oversee the transition from a manual grants management system (GIFTS Classic) to a comprehensive, cloud-based grants management system.
- Develop and maintain all reporting and data management through efficient systems.
- Manage the completion of the grantmaking dockets and Board packets.
- Serve as team leader and supervisor to ensure engagement of all staff, as well as
- full implementation of workflow and use of systems.
- Maintain sound practices and manage staff on conducting financial due diligence with grantees.
- Develop and manage consultant contracts and relationships with outside vendors.
- Develop and oversee internal employee practices, goal setting, benchmarks and evaluation processes, in collaboration with the Executive Director, other program managers and the congregation’s systems.
- Directly supervise a small team of operations and administrative staff and consultants.
- Coordinate with Executive Director on hiring for new staff.
- Ensure that the responsibility for each staff position is defined and understood.
- Manage time sheets and payroll reporting.
- Be available to assume the responsibilities of the Executive Director on site when he/she is unavailable.
- Engage with Board members to ensure their preparation for their responsibilities.
- Attend Board meetings and retreats as needed.
- Delegate and supervise administrative preparations for Board meetings and retreats.
Board Support, Congregational Engagement and Communication
- Support the execution of education programs for the Veatch Board and congregation.
- Collaborate cross-departmentally with other Shelter Rock program staff (e.g., Social Justice).
- Staff Board task forces and subcommittees as needed.
Finance and Budget
- Advise the Executive Director on financial matters.
- Establish and maintain budget development and monitoring systems and reports for grant allocations and administrative costs.
- Oversee staff compliance as well as efficient coordination with the congregation’s finance office for expenses, invoices and contracts.
- Maintain relationships with peer managers to stay connected to developments in the field.
- Keep professional expertise current relative to issues and program areas.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate degree or equivalent relevant professional experience preferred.
- At least 8-10 years of experience in operations and administration as outlined, including integration of operations with program development and organizational policies and practices.
- Prior experience working with foundation grantmaking systems, and cloud-based grants management systems preferred.
- Ability to support and work with individuals and organizations representing a mix of racial and ethnic groups and religious and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, GIFTS computer programs, and other systems.
- Ability to oversee the full migration of a grants management system, and other complex projects.
- Able to manage and meet competing deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Team approach, strong collaboration skills, high social and relational capacity, and positive attitude.
- Understanding and acceptance of the philosophy and values of Unitarian Universalism and the program priorities of the UU Veatch Program.
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and put “Operations Manager Search” in the e-mail’s subject line. The application deadline is 9/7/2018. No phone calls please.
The Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program at Shelter Rock provides support for efforts within the religious and spiritual mission of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Shelter Rock where their purposes are best served by outside agencies acting under the Veatch Program and the Congregation.
The Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program at Shelter Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disability Act.