Marketing and Communications Manager
Pajama Program is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Background and Position Overview
The mission of Pajama Program is to promote and support a comforting bedtime routine for children affected by instability to help them thrive. We believe every child has the inherent right to a loving good night that starts with changing into clean, warm pajamas and enjoying an enchanting story. Just as a comforting bedtime routine sets the stage for a good night, a good night helps children thrive because they wake up ready for a good day: good nights are good days. We reach children affected by instability in every state by providing new pajamas and new books to them through programs including shelters, foster-care agencies, Head Start, and Title I schools. Locally, we invite children to visit our reading centers in New York City and Atlanta, where they share connections with our open-hearted volunteers. Pajama Program was founded in 2001 and has delivered 6 million good nights for good days to children affected by instability.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is directly responsible for managing all forms of communications (website, newsletters, e-blasts, and social media), developing and executing a marketing plan and campaigns, creating editorial processes and maintaining mailing lists. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who is both highly collaborative, and can work independently, has strong writing and communication skills, and is passionate about the nonprofit sector. In addition, the ideal candidate supports our core values (integrity, equity, shared community, sustainable impact, and thoughtful leadership) and is committed to developing one’s own cultural self-awareness, cultural competence, and emotional intelligence as well as champion increasing equity and inclusion as they relate to our shared community and stakeholders. The Marketing and Communications Manager will report to the Director of Development.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
• Develop and implement Pajama Program’s annual marketing plan and manage the related budget responsibly to promote signature programming and related content to reach out to diverse audiences
• Execute and communicate mission, vision, brand and core values; serve as gatekeeper of our brand and work with staff, Board and Founder to maintain alignment on these fronts
• Develop and manage editorial and marketing collateral to grow Pajama Program’s network of constituents and advance organizational objectives; ensure all deadlines are met
• Oversee the creative development of print and online communications that reflect the diversity of our program participants and with an eye toward engaging diverse audiences, including, but not limited to, an annual impact report, newsletters, e-blasts, website, blog and social media
• Coordinate website maintenance and ensure that new and consistent, on-brand information (article links, stories, and events) reflective of our organizational values is posted regularly
• Coordinate and execute regular marketing communications through Pajama Program’s various platforms and channels
• Develop and implement mechanisms to determine ROI on campaigns and programs
• Exercise a data-centric approach to gather constituent insights and use data to improve future campaigns, including, but not limited to, gathering relevant information about our constituents’ racial, ethnic and other cultural demographics to inform culturally competent communications strategies.
• Provide direction and act as the liaison to (external) creative team to build promotional and pitch collateral for Program and Development teams (ability to create said collateral a plus)
• Partner with other Pajama Program staff to assist with all events and projects
• Measure and report performance on all events and projects; assess against goals and KPIs
• Work with Pajama Program leadership team to ensure all communication materials and overall strategy are informed by the organization’s values, including, but not limited to, diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Must have experience in communications and marketing, preferably in a nonprofit setting
• Spanish-speaking a strong plus
• Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and organizational skills; attentive to detail
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, business or related field (or equivalent experience)
• Experience managing multiple social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram) for an organization and/or public campaign
• Experience with WordPress, digital design and Salesforce (Pardot) a strong plus
• Strong interpersonal and management skills, along with creativity, strategic ability and a sense of humor
• Experience working with diverse populations.
Salary and Benefits
Pajama Program provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
For consideration, please send your cover letter, describing your fit with the job description, and resume to [email protected] and indicate “Marketing and Communications Manager” in the subject line. The application deadline is 12/17/2018.