Pajama Program is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Background and Position Overview
Pajama Program is a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit that was founded in 2001. Our mission is to promote and support a comforting bedtime routine for children affected by instability to help them thrive. We believe every child has the inherent right to a loving good night that starts with changing into cozy pajamas and enjoying an enchanting story. A comforting bedtime routine sets the stage for a good night, which in turn helps children thrive because they wake up ready for a good day: good nights are good days. We reach children affected by instability in every state and Puerto Rico by distributing new pajamas and books to them through over 4,000 community partners, which include shelters, foster-care agencies, Head Start, and Title I schools. We engage a national network of volunteer Chapter Presidents who help to coordinate donations. Locally, we invite children to visit our Reading Centers in New York City and Atlanta, where they share connections with our open-hearted volunteers. As of 2018, Pajama Program had distributed over 6 million pajamas and books to help children affected by instability have good nights for good days. We have also begun developing caregiver programming so that we can have a sustainable impact on the children we serve, and we have convened the Good Night Advisory Council of experts to help guide that work.
We seek a multi-tasking Executive Assistant to support our leadership team at Pajama Program’s National Office in New York City as we expand our activities. This position will interact with many of the organization’s stakeholders – Board members, Council members, donors, consultants, and the Pajama Program Leadership Team and staff. This person will be the primary administrative liaison with the Board of Directors, working closely with the Executive Director to coordinate scheduling, develop agendas, and prepare and distribute advance materials. The position reports to the Executive Director, and is an essential member of our team.
The successful candidate will work well independently and as a collaborative team member. This person brings creative and critical thinking to the team and successfully completes tasks, from the smallest detail to the largest projects. This person is an effective communicator and collaborator with our internal staff, the most senior Board members, and outside donors alike. This person must have the ability and experience to identify and implement ways to improve our efficiency and effectiveness, make informed administrative decisions (seeking and acting on guidance and feedback when it’s needed), and keep things moving in our small but growing enterprise.
The successful candidate will be exceptionally organized, detail oriented, curious, positive, high energy, of impeccable integrity, and committed to Pajama Program’s mission. Excellent professional interpersonal skills, and a demonstrated history of developing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external contacts are required. Must exhibit independent and sound decision-making on complex and non-routine matters. Must be able to prioritize among competing urgent demands, exercise good judgment, and use common sense in managing unexpected and, at times, challenging situations.
Finally, the ideal candidate supports our core values (integrity, equity, shared community, sustainable impact, and thoughtful leadership) and is committed to developing one’s own cultural self-awareness, cultural competence, and emotional intelligence as well as to championing increasing equity and inclusion as they relate to our shared community and stakeholders.
• Acts as a liaison and ensures smooth communications between the Pajama Program Leadership Team and a broad range of constituents including Board and Council members, funders, partner organizations, consultants, and the staff at large.
• Supports the Executive Director’s work with the Board of Directors: communicate with Board members by phone, print, and email; plan and schedule meetings; prepare and disseminate meeting materials.
• Provides executive level support to the Leadership Team, including but not limited to managing calendars, contacts, and files; arranging internal and external meetings for the Leadership Team with a variety of constituents; and arranging travel for the Leadership Team.
• Provides day-to-day support for the office, including telephone coverage and helping to maintain office organization and appearance.
• Provides general administrative support by preparing letters, reports (including expense and income reports), preparing electronic surveys, scheduling and preparing materials for meetings, and drafting and circulating minutes. Drafts, reviews, and proofs written correspondence, agreements, memos, emails, and other documents, with sharp attention to detail, including formatting and without typos.
• Supports donor outreach: Assists development team with researching, prospecting, and identifying potential donors; organizes major donor meetings and assists with stewardship of Board and major donors, including identifying and sending gifts, thank-you notes, and the like.
• Manages donor files and reporting: Maintains, organizes, and updates hardcopy and electronic donor files in Salesforce. Helps manage year-end reporting process to major donors and foundations.
• Plans, organizes, and schedules meetings, events, and conferences, including meeting hospitality needs.
• Assist with bookkeeping tasks as needed.
• Assists with special projects or other responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
• Minimum bachelor’s degree with at least one year’s experience relevant to the position.
• Creative problem-solver who can be flexible in meeting job requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Detail oriented, well organized, able to manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to recognize information that requires confidentiality, and treat it accordingly.
• Experience using Google Docs and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
• Familiarity with Salesforce is a plus.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
Salary and Benefits
Pajama Program provides a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
For consideration, please send your cover letter, describing your fit with the job description, to [email protected] and indicate “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. The application deadline is 12/17/2018.
Pajama Program is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disability Act.