September 24, 2018
Director of Strategic Development
CRE is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
The Director of Strategic Development is a key member of the CRE team and critical to CRE’s success in its next phase of growth. They are responsible for a range of integrated activities intended to develop and grow the resources CRE needs to continue to evolve and thrive – including fundraising and business development. The Director of Strategic Development also is responsible for strengthening CRE’s brand and building its visibility through oversight of a range of marketing, communications, and thought leadership activities.
The Director of Strategic Development is a creative, energetic, and confident professional with a strategic mind who is eager to contribute ideas and work with staff to seize opportunities and address challenges. They play a key role in goal-setting, planning, and problem-solving with the President and CEO and other management team members to advance the organization’s growth and development. The ideal candidate will have a deep commitment to the social sector and to CRE’s mission.
This position leads the overall design and oversees execution of CRE’s fundraising, business development, and communications efforts. This includes creating a cohesive strategy in which each area complements, reinforces, and advances the others, and that is in line with CRE’s organizational commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and racial equity. The DSD will support and lead two direct reports to oversee the areas below:
- Partner with the President & CEO and Board of Directors to create a development strategy that increases revenue and supports the strategic direction of the organization
- Oversee and manage fundraising efforts such as grant submissions and reporting to foundations, corporations, government, individual donors, and new partners
- Cultivate new funders to support client work, program-specific initiatives (e.g., CRE’s pro-bono work), and general operations
- Develop and oversee events and campaigns for CRE, including management of the organization’s 40th anniversary celebrations in 2019
- Lead, staff and facilitate CRE’s Board Development Committee
- Work with the CEO and Chief Program Officer to develop and launch major new programs, partnerships, and products that advance CRE’s mission, meet client’s needs, and impact the larger social sector
- Expand existing fee-for-service revenue base by targeting new clients and markets for CRE’s services
- Conduct proactive outreach and marketing of CRE through an overall marketing strategy that includes client cultivation and networking
- Work with consultants to translate CRE’s vision into a compelling case for support and/or new business
Thought leadership, communications, and marketing
- Oversee the development and execution of a comprehensive communications and marketing plan that positions CRE as a thought leader and raises overall organizational visibility
- Ensure the application of a racial equity lens in all aspects of this work
- Aggregate and share learnings from CRE’s client work to serve the larger sector
- Drive consistent, proactive, positive communications tailored to the needs and interests of target audiences to support CRE’s goals and build its credibility, profile, and value proposition
- Develop and oversee implementation of CRE’s communications policy
- Supervise communications and development staff
- Provide advice and support to the management team, staff, and Board on all business and resource development, thought leadership, and marketing opportunities and activities
- Serve as an active member of the management team, which includes responsibilities for CRE’s overall development (e.g., planning, goal-setting, problem-solving and supporting CRE as it continues to develop and apply an anti-racist lens)
Experience and skills required
- 5-7 years of experience in fundraising, business development and/or marketing in the social sector or for a professional services organization
- Experience developing strong relationships across a diverse group of stakeholders including clients, partners, and funders
- Ability to effectively lead a data-driven approach to increasing revenue from diverse constituencies
- Proven track record of driving the significant growth of corporate and foundation support and partnerships
- Proven ability to design and execute a marketing strategy, internal and external communications, and social media campaigns
- Strong network, knowledge of, and commitment to, the nonprofit sector – particularly organizations addressing poverty and social justice
- Creative, insightful and out-of-the-box thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven ability to tell a compelling story
- Strong attention to detail while managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Open, collegial, and supportive with colleagues
- Proactive, can-do attitude with a sense of humor and a flexible approach to work
- Proven leadership and management capabilities, including mentoring and inspiring staff as well as working with senior staff and board
- Comfortable working with CRM platforms; Salesforce experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
CRE offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply: For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and indicate your name and “Director of Strategic Development” in the subject line.
For questions, please contact Kate Eberle at [email protected].
CRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.