Director of Finance
Position Title: Director of Finance
Location: NY, NY
Classification: Exempt, full-time
Start Date: Immediately
About The Resolution Project
The Resolution Project (“Resolution”) is a unique pathway to action for aspiring young leaders committed to changing the world. Resolution funds, mentors, and supports undergraduate students starting social enterprises in their home communities around the world. Over 450 Resolution Fellows, in 77 countries and 21 states across the U.S., are working in diverse, high-impact fields such as water, food, sustainable development, education, energy and the environment, equality and empowerment, health and wellness, and humanitarian relief, impacting over 1.6 million people with their work. Their impact ranges from life-improving to life-saving, their leadership transforms what their communities expect of leaders, and their example serves as a beacon for other young people to see their own capacity for change. Supporting our Fellows are over 500 volunteers, a dedicated staff, and dozens of partners from both the public and private sectors. We are now seeking an exceptional individual who is passionate about transformative leadership and the power of young people to change the world to join our growing team!
About the Position
The Director of Finance is responsible for leading a broad range of fiscal and operational duties including: completing ongoing financial reporting; facilitating budget process and supporting strategic plan development; maintaining and overseeing the organization’s general ledger; maintaining registrations with relevant federal and state agencies; and providing support to outside auditors and other third-parties. As the organization moves into a new stage of growth and works to actualize its strategic plan, this individual will bring a critical and analytical voice to the table for driving the direction of the organization’s growth.
- Manage all aspects of day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries, and bank reconciliation in accordance to GAAP.
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue and complete reconciliations between Salesforce and Quickbooks recordkeeping systems.
- Oversee disbursement activities and monitor daily cash flow position.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, Board reporting packages, department-level reports, and grant-specific financial reports.
- Prepare special reports for CEO and Treasurer by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Oversee part-time support personnel in organizing and maintaining financial documentation.
- Complete month-end closing procedures and prepare journal entries for prepaid expense, deferred revenue and payroll cash accounts.
- Execute semi-monthly payroll activities using a third-party payroll service provider.
- Oversee annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
- Provide recommendations for procedural improvements and implementation.
- Coordinate with auditors in preparation and completion of year-end audit and IRS 990 / state filings.
- Work with CEO and other senior leadership in facilitating annual organizational budget, financial planning for substantive programs, and strategic planning efforts.
- At least seven years of accounting or finance experience required; managerial experience preferred.
- Proactive approach to daily work, problem solving, and long-term project implementation.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment and manage cross-organizational relationships.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and good judgment.
- Ability to work with a small and entrepreneurial professional staff; flexibility in supporting other staff and volunteer team members and other functions, as needed.
- High level of professionalism with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Vigilant attention to detail and demonstrated commitment to meeting high-quality standards.
- Proven success in nonprofit financial management.
- This individual will work out of Resolution’s Midtown office during the work week, but will be asked to work some evening and weekend hours.
- Adaptable and quick learner.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks with high level of general computer competency.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Eventbrite a plus.
Competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision coverage, transit check, FSA, and HSA options.
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. You must include “Director of Finance” as the subject line of the email—please include where you found out about this opportunity. No phone calls or faxes, please.
The Resolution Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, family and medical leave status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.