Director of Development
Position Title: Director of Development
Location: NY, NY
Classification: Exempt, full-time
Reporting To: CEO
Start Date: Immediately
About The Resolution Project
The Resolution Project (“Resolution”) is a unique pathway to action for aspiring young leaders committed to changing the world. Resolution funds, mentors, and supports undergraduate students starting social enterprises in their home communities around the world. Over 450 Resolution Fellows, in 77 countries and 21 states across the U.S., are working in diverse, high-impact fields such as water, food, sustainable development, education, energy and the environment, equality and empowerment, health and wellness, and humanitarian relief, impacting over 1.6 million people with their work. Their impact ranges from life-improving to life-saving, their leadership transforms what their communities expect of leaders, and their example serves as a beacon for other young people to see their own capacity for change. Supporting our Fellows are over 500 volunteers, a dedicated staff, and dozens of partners from both the public and private sectors. We are now seeking an exceptional individual who is passionate about transformative leadership and the power of young people to change the world to join our growing team!
Resolution is at its tipping point. After a decade in startup mode—cultivating relationships across the social sector, building its community, and proving that its model works (with data to back it up)—the organization is poised for a phase of rapid growth. Seven years ago, it went from a volunteer endeavor to one with a professional staff; in 2017, the team doubled over the course of a year; and with added capacity to unlock the financial opportunities that the organization has built, Resolution stands to do precisely that again, while realizing its strategic plan, moving into its next phase of impact, and advancing its mission globally. With a dynamic and effective leader at the helm of development to round out a powerful combination of visionary leadership, talented staff, and dedicated volunteers, Resolution will be able to fundamentally shift the way that communities look at youth and transform the landscape for youth-led impact around the world.
About the Position
Resolution seeks to hire a Director of Development (“Director”) as a senior leader of the staff and as a department head. The Director will provide clear vision, leadership, and direction on effective strategies for meeting Resolution’s annual revenue goals ($2.5MM) and growing its greater revenue potential. This individual will work closely with the CEO to design fundraising approaches; deploy the CEO and Board for maximum effectiveness; build out department systems, staff, and practices to support scaling efforts; manage a portfolio of existing corporate and foundation relationships; and identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new individual, foundation and corporate donors. Resolution has a strong Board and Advisory Board in place with whom the Director will partner to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors. The Director will partner with the events staff member and volunteer planning team to plan, execute, and grow two major annual fundraisers and several smaller events throughout the year. The Director will also work with volunteer leadership to support various fundraising activities for the broader volunteer community. The Director will be supported by a Development Manager, a Senior Communications Associate, and a Special Events Associate, and will be responsible for directly managing these individuals. The candidate must have a flexible schedule, be prepared to join meetings and conference calls earlier and later than regular business hours – including some weekends – and be willing to travel.
- Work with the CEO to design, execute, manage and evaluate a comprehensive fundraising strategy.
- Develop and deepen relationships with foundation and corporate prospects and partners, and expand –Resolution’s network of individual donors.
- Develop and implement a scalable, renewable major gifts program.
- Manage and expand a portfolio of individual donors and prospects with the capacity to make annual contributions of at least $5,000 and some substantially higher than this.
- Engage in face-to-face solicitations and other direct engagement with donors and prospects, and arrange and support engagement for the CEO.
- Develop goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans for each donor, ensuring that each one receives frequent personalized engagement.
- Draft donor correspondence, and maintain primary responsibility for developing messaging, talking points, proposals, and materials for development activity.
- Conduct prospect research and outreach.
- Secure major event sponsors.
- Design, execute, and assess giving campaigns and donor appeals.
- Prepare regular fundraising activity reports
- Provide goals and projections to inform the annual budgeting process.
- Represent Resolution at relevant conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Mentor and support Development staff.
- Lead on special projects as determined by opportunity and need.
The ideal candidate has at least 7 years of demonstrated fundraising experience and success with progressively increasing responsibility. This opportunity is perfect for someone who is skilled at building infrastructure and process, and who thrives at building and sustaining meaningful relationships. The position requires a high-energy, detail-oriented, hard-working individual who can help set direction, execute on planned activities, and build deep and lasting relationships with donors and team members. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of success in front line fundraising and will bring the ability to expand on Resolution’s existing base.
- Demonstrated success in major gift solicitation
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies, including board members, donors, and high net worth prospects
- Experience managing a team and administering a department (in whole or in part)
- Connections and influence within the philanthropic community
- Proactive approach to daily work, problem solving, and long-term project implementation
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment and manage cross-organizational relationships
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and good judgment
- Ability to work with a small and entrepreneurial professional staff; flexibility in supporting other staff and volunteer team members and other functions, as needed
- High level of professionalism with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Vigilant attention to detail and demonstrated commitment to meeting high-quality standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Passion for young people making an impact, and commitment to social change and social entrepreneurship
- Computer literacy, including extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite
- Experience with donor database software (Salesforce preferred)
- Friendly and outgoing personality, a sense of optimism and enthusiasm, and dedication to teamwork.
Competitive benefits package, including health, dental, and vision coverage, transit check, FSA, and HSA options.
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected]. You must include “Director of Development” as the subject line of the email—please include where you found out about this opportunity. No phone calls or faxes, please.
The Resolution Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, family and medical leave status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.